Congo Watch: UNICEF: 3 million people in east DR Congo affected by conflict - more than 100,000 children are “on the run” in N. Kivu and S. Kivu provinces

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

UNICEF: 3 million people in east DR Congo affected by conflict - more than 100,000 children are “on the run” in N. Kivu and S. Kivu provinces

The latest UN appeal for the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), is up from $600 million last year to $830 million. 3 million people in east DRC are affected by conflict and more than 100,000 children are “on the run” in North Kivu and South Kivu provinces.

Source: November 19, 2008 report from UN.org - excerpt:
UN seeks $7 billion in humanitarian aid for 2009, by far its largest ever appeal

The biggest requirement is for Sudan at just over $2 billion, with the appeal for the DRC up from $600 million last year to $830 million.

“In the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), around 250,000 people are believed to have been displaced in the last two months and the situation is becoming increasingly desperate,” UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Deputy Executive Director Frafjord Johnson said, referring to the surge in fighting between Government and rebel forces in the east of the vast country.

She said more than 100,000 children were “on the run” in North Kivu and South Kivu provinces, either with their families or separated from them. Some 3 million people in the east were affected in one way or another, either fleeing fighting or hosting the displaced. There was no doubt that there had been a spike in recruitment of children by armed groups and sexual violence had increased, with clear evidence of children and women being raped.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home